Live Support My forum, my way! Il forum dei newsgroup: Google » I piani di Google per Google Groups
My forum, my way! Il forum dei newsgroup
Fast Uncompromising Discussions.Newsgroup FUDforum will get your users talking.

Utenti      F.A.Q.    Registrati    Login    Home
I piani di Google per Google Groups [messaggio #100735] gio, 01 febbraio 2007 22:56 Messaggio successivo
edevils  è attualmente disconnesso edevils
Junior Member
xpost it.cultura.cybersocieta,it-alt.media.internet.google

"We see the new version of Groups as wikis for the masses with discussions
woven in."

http://www.itworld.com/AppDev/1634/070125googlegroups/

Google has big plans for Groups service
IDG News Service 1/25/07
Juan Carlos Perez, IDG News Service, Miami Bureau

Online discussion forums date from the Internet's early days and are
seen by many as passe in this Web 2.0 era of blogs, wikis and social
networks, but Google Inc. has no plan to put its Groups service out to
pasture.

On the contrary, Google gave Groups a facelift on Wednesday. The
discussion forum got a redesigned interface and new features like the
ability to create and edit Web pages and upload and share files. And
this is just the beginning of the service's makeover, according to
Andrew Zaeske, Groups' engineering manager.

In an interview with IDG News Service, Zaeske explained that Google
sees Groups as a great vehicle not only for discussion but also for
collaboration and for generating content. An edited transcript of the
interview follows.

IDGNS: Google launched Groups about 6 years ago, after acquiring
Deja.com's Usenet Discussion Service, whose archive of forums and
messages dated back to 1995. Today people have other newer services to
interact online, like social networks, blogs, wikis and virtual worlds.
Aren't discussion forums a bit dated?

Zaeske: With Groups we're going well beyond normal discussion forums by
adding the ability to do all these great things like creating Web pages
and the appearance for your group. We're trying to complement
discussions with a lot of the great things going on on the Web right
now that make it really exciting for people to collaborate. Blogs are
mostly about self expression and social networks are largely about
having fun. Wikis are about gathering knowledge. We see the new version
of Groups as wikis for the masses with discussions woven in.

IDGNS: Still, as these newer Web 2.0 services continue to expand and
improve, won't discussion forums become obsolete in the near future?

Zaeske: Discussions in general are a feature that is useful for a
number of reasons and that will never become obsolete and will be part
of all of these services [like wikis, social networks and blogs].
Discussions are a source of publicly searchable information,
particularly of user expertise in certain areas, but it's also very
convenient to get into discussions.

We think adding Web page creation and the ability to change the
appearance of your forum will cause Groups to be perceived as more than
just a discussion forum product. Our goal is to let people do all sorts
of creative things and talk about them in Groups. I'd say that Groups
is more about groupware going forward and less specifically about
discussions. It offers a great discussion service but with the new
features it's a lot about collaboration and expression and content
creation.

IDGNS: Do you foresee integrating other functionality into Groups, like
blogging?

Zaeske: There are all sorts of wonderful things we want to do to
Groups. Blogging would be a great feature. I can't comment on whether
we're planning on doing that but it would be very useful for Groups to
have a blog feature. It'd be a natural thing to add to a group.

IDGNS: What about a wiki feature?

Zaeske: What we've just launched is essentially a wiki for people who
don't know what the term wiki is. You can create Web pages,
collaboratively edit them, have discussions on them, set access
privileges in the group. It's pretty much a wiki.

IDGNS: What are Group's usage and popularity like?

Zaeske: I can't comment on specific metrics, but obviously we're very
interested in revamping the whole product and that's due to the
popularity we see in Groups. We want to take it to the next stage.
People search it a lot because of the public information and the
discussions that are available. Often when you can't find your answer
on the Web, you can find it in Groups because someone has talked about
it there.

IDGNS: Do you foresee any synergy between Groups and the wiki service
JotSpot that Google recently acquired?

Zaeske: We're looking very closely at opportunities there. We're very
excited about that. JotSpot offers some amazing things that seem very
similar to what Groups offers so we're looking very closely at working
together.

IDGNS: What about embedding word processing and spreadsheet
functionality into Groups, from Google Docs & Spreadsheets?

Zaeske: I think that would be a great feature to add to the product. I
can't comment on whether we're looking at that. Group offers a lot of
collaborative features but if you look at Docs & Spreadsheets, that's
another type of collaboration and we're always looking at how we can
bolt all these features together and leverage them.

IDGNS: Google is under a mandate from co-founder Sergey Brin to
simplify and consolidate its menu of products and services. Would
Groups be considered an umbrella-type of service under whose interface
other services could be grouped?

Zaeske: That'd be a great question for our VP of products. I think
collaboration in general is a category that's very important to Google
and content creation as well. How we package that up is something that
is a secret kind of thing right now.
Re: I piani di Google per Google Groups [messaggio #100736 è una risposta a message #100735] gio, 01 febbraio 2007 23:53 Messaggio precedenteMessaggio successivo
Lidrie  è attualmente disconnesso Lidrie
Junior Member
Enrico C ci scrisse in <bym3g19v77l4.dlg@news.lillathedog.net>:

> Would Groups be considered an umbrella-type of service

contributi di storie, opinioni, testi, immagini, video, musica,
cataloghi, software, etc... lo vediamo tutti i giorni, il popolo della
rete ha voglia di metterci del suo. Ma più aumentano i contributi, più
complicato diventa trovare quelli di proprio interesse. Cosa c'è di
meglio di una auto classificazione dei contenuti per argomento fatta a
cura del contributore? Ci vorrebbe una bella ... gerarchia :-)
Solo che stavolta non avremo a che fare con un GCN ma con un GGN -
Giant Google Netarchitect - che disegnerà la fruibilità della rete,
organizzandola per affinità di interessi. Dentro ogni
argomento-condominio avremo gli argomenti-appartamento con le loro
stanze-medium. Per cui foto, video, blog, racconti, saggi, prodotti,
servizi, etc, con argomento 'gatto' saranno stanze dell'appartamento
'gatti' del condominio 'PET'.
Sarà facile poi, una volta consolidata la struttura, esigere un obolo
differenziato per l'accesso ai vari condominii o appartamenti.
Oh, certo, ci saranno anche appartamenti ad accesso gratuito,
probabilmente quelli dove si sperimenteranno le nuove idee da mettere
in produzione...

--
Sans
Re: I piani di Google per Google Groups [messaggio #100737 è una risposta a message #100736] ven, 02 febbraio 2007 02:32 Messaggio precedenteMessaggio successivo
On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 23:53:10 +0100, Lidrie wrote:

> contributi di storie, opinioni, testi, immagini, video, musica,
> cataloghi, software, etc... lo vediamo tutti i giorni, il popolo della
> rete ha voglia di metterci del suo. Ma più aumentano i contributi, più
> complicato diventa trovare quelli di proprio interesse.

Però non ho capito se il progetto riguarda solo i gruppi privati Google
Groups non propagati su Usenet (in pratica mailing list basate su web) o
anche i gruppi di discussione Usenet archiviati su Google Groups. I gruppi
di discussione Usenet hanno caratteristiche proprie che li distinguono, per
esempio la possibilità di scaricare i messaggi rapidamente, archiviarli sul
proprio hard disk, leggerli col programma preferito, eventualmente anche
leggere e scrivere i messaggi offline... Inserire nuove possibilità di
espressione basate su web può essere interessante ma potrebbe anche creare
un fritto misto che alla fine non accontenta nessuno.
Soprattutto, visto che le nuove possibilità multimediali sarebbero basate
sul web di Google, mi pare un tentativo di appropriarsi definitavamente dei
gruppi, snaturandoli e trasformandoli in webforum e mailing list più
qualche altro servizio di contorno...
Mmmh...

--
Enrico C

nuovo indirizzo email:
http://snipurl.com/MyEmailAddress
Re: I piani di Google per Google Groups [messaggio #100738 è una risposta a message #100737] ven, 02 febbraio 2007 12:13 Messaggio precedente
Enrico C ci scrisse in <17ve71vsm9309$.dlg@news.lillathedog.net>:

>> contributi di storie, opinioni, testi, immagini, video, musica,
>> cataloghi, software, etc... lo vediamo tutti i giorni, il popolo della
>> rete ha voglia di metterci del suo.

> Però non ho capito se il progetto riguarda solo i gruppi privati Google
> Groups non propagati su Usenet (in pratica mailing list basate su web) o
> anche i gruppi di discussione Usenet archiviati su Google Groups. I gruppi
> di discussione Usenet hanno caratteristiche proprie che li distinguono, per
> esempio la possibilità di scaricare i messaggi rapidamente, archiviarli sul
> proprio hard disk, leggerli col programma preferito, eventualmente anche
> leggere e scrivere i messaggi offline...

questa è la fotografia del presente

> Inserire nuove possibilità di
> espressione basate su web può essere interessante ma potrebbe anche creare
> un fritto misto che alla fine non accontenta nessuno.
> Soprattutto, visto che le nuove possibilità multimediali sarebbero basate
> sul web di Google, mi pare un tentativo di appropriarsi definitavamente dei
> gruppi, snaturandoli e trasformandoli in webforum e mailing list più
> qualche altro servizio di contorno...

temo un discorso diverso: perché oltre ad aver sviluppato servizi come

Alerts
Blog Search
Book Search
Catalogs
Google Checkout
Desktop
Directory
Earth
Finance
Froogle
Images
Local
Maps
News
Patent
Scholar
Specialized Searches
Toolbar
Video
Web Search
Web Search Features
Code
Co-op
Labs
Blogger
Calendar
Docs & Spreadsheets
Gmail
Groups
Picasa
SketchUp
Talk
Translate
Maps for mobile
Mobile
SMS
Pack
Web Accelerator

si sono comprati anche YouTube?

Io vedo un disegno teso ad _assorbire_ le funzioni che concretamente la
maggior parte degli utenti utilizza con la filiera _PC+SO+Soft
Standalone +ConnessioneIP+Soft specializzato per funzioni in rete_ in
uno scenario dove l'utente avrà bisogno solo di un terminale leggero
per la connessione in rete + UN browser¹ e tutte le funzioni (o almeno
il 90% di quello che fa il 90% degli utenti) saranno disponibili
attraverso il portale Google. Non serviranno WP, SS, DB, PIM, etc, come
già non servono più newsreader e mailreader. Basta un buon browser e un
po di script. Siamo oltre il NC immaginato dalla Sun. Funzioni
comunicative e creative, multimediali, telefoniche, commerciali,
finanziarie, di ricerca, etc, veicolate attraverso un unico gigantesco
portale. Più che di CONVERGENZA dovremo parlare di UNIFICAZIONE. Il
tutto condito con la profilazione profonda... che con la diffusione
dell'IPV6 assumerà aspetti ancora più penetranti nella vita degli
individui.
Avranno in mano uno strumento di valore commerciale enorme.
Ma se a questo aggiungiamo la possibilità di incrociare i dati di altre
fonti governative americane ... altro che Grande Fratello orwelliano.
Sono paranoico? Cerca ATS e correlati...
http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2006/06-9026.htm

Mi chiedo quanto questo ci renderà vulnerabili alle leve del potere di
oltreatlantico (che ultimamente non brillano certo per l'attenzione ai
diritti civili).

¹ non a caso hanno sponsorizzato la Mozilla Foundation

--
Sans